Luckily today, there is a lot of information that can be found online. Do as much research as possible. Find a center that has been operating for many years and has positive reviews.
You also want to look out for a few key safety protocols that are key to ensuring your wellbeing.
- The center does medical screening – this is an absolute must. Many people cannot drink ayahuasca. If you have heart conditions, high or low blood pressure, are taking MAOI’s or have a history of psychotic episodes, you should not participate in ayahuasca ceremonies.
- The center is within one hour of a hospital – just in case you need emergency medical attention. Even a simple bee sting can result in the need for medical intervention.
- The center has an emergency vehicle – you never know when an emergency will occur. The center needs a way to get you to safety.
- The center has trained ceremonial leaders – while other visionary plants may not need a ceremonial leader, ayahuasca does. Traditional facilitators train 5-10 years and are as specialized as a western doctor.
- The center prepares its own ayahuasca – this is the only way to control and know the ingredients in the ayahuasca as well as its strength.
If you will be attending an ayahuasca center, you want to find the one that best suits your personal needs and reasons for attending. It is important to research information on the different centers that reach out to you, and then take time to come to an informed decision about where to attend and why.
“The Blue Morpho Ayahuasca Retreat is unique, personal and powerful. Over the 20+ years that Blue Morpho has been holding retreats and guiding people through this transformative experience, we have fine-tuned an approach to best serve the needs of our guests. Our principal focus is your safety and well-being. To this end, we have created some basic guidelines to follow.
- Hold a space of respect and non-judgment. This is important to allow you the freedom and space to be yourself and have the experience that you came for. Blue Morpho creates a safe container to guide your process, no matter what is happening. It is also important that you give other guests the space they need to process their experience. This ensures that everyone receives the support they need during their retreat.
- We are here to help. We encourage you to come and talk with the shamans at any time, for any reason. We are all trained to help guide you through this process. It is very common to have challenges manifest. We are here to help you through whatever is coming up. This space is built for YOU. If there is anything that you need to talk about, please do so.
- Food restrictions while at lodge: During your stay here, we ask that you only eat what we provide for you. Ayahuasca can react in unpredictable ways when mixed with certain foods. There are restrictions such as no spicy foods and refined sugars. Please limit ALL food intake to what we provide during meal times. There are no exceptions to this rule. If you have any food that you’ve brought with you, we ask that you give it to one of the shamans for safekeeping. We will return it to you on the last day of the tour. This is for your safety and well-being.
- Recreational drugs and alcohol: No recreational drugs or alcohol are permitted during your stay. This includes other sacred plants (cannabis, san pedro, mushrooms, coca leaves, peyote, etc.) as well as any other “street” drugs (cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.). If you have brought any of these with you, please give them to one of the shamans or Blue Morpho staff.
- Pharmaceutical medications: Western medications are also restricted during your stay. There are two exceptions to this rule: malaria medication and birth control pills. If you are currently taking these medications, you may continue to do so, but please make sure you take them in the morning with breakfast. This allows ample time for your body to process them before drinking ayahuasca. If something comes up during the tour where you feel you need to take any other pharmaceutical, please DO NOT take anything until you talk with one of the Blue Morpho shamans.
- Sexual activity is not permitted: We hold a very strict “no sex” policy while you are with us on retreat and ask that you abstain from sex for 3 days after the tour ends. This includes any kind of sexual activity: masturbation, kissing and fantasizing about sex. This also includes flirting or sexually suggestive behavior. Ayahuasca can open people’s energies in intense ways. Sexual activity can disrupt your healing process. It is critical that you do your best to allow these feelings and energies to flow without engaging them.
- Promise to do no harm: We ask that you promise us and yourself that you will do no harm to yourself or others during the tour. If you are feeling that you may be a danger to yourself, it is vital that you come to us immediately. We will help guide you through the process to release these impulses. Remember, you are here for healing and positive transformation.
- Please stay at the lodge! There are guided jungle walks offered throughout the week, but DO NOT go into the jungle alone or past the research center. If you want to go into the jungle, only go on a guided trip or with one of the guides. Please remain in the lodge at all times unless you are on a guided trip.
It is possible to have a safe, professional and amazing ayahuasca retreat. Remember to take the time to research different facilities and pick the one that best aligns with your personal needs.
Blue Morpho ayahuasca retreats offer the best in comfort and service. You will receive Blue Morpho plant medicines, that have been perfected over twenty years, working with thousands of guests from over 100 countries.
Experience 4 Blue Morpho Ayahuasca Ceremonies on your Ayahuasca Retreat in Peru
Twenty years, serving over 5000 satisfied guests from over 100 countries.